Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 79

Thread: All LPD

  1. #31
    Inactive Member yankeebaseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2007
    Posts
    1,387
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: All LPD

    Quote Originally Posted by cuuvapitt View Post
    First I don't care who makes the All-LPD team as I have no allegence to any of the teams as I have enjoyed seeing the local teams over the last so many weeks...I saw each team but Pound at least once and three of the six teams multiple times.

    Obviously PV and Appy should have multiple players...with those being mentioned very clearly in this thread so I am not going to split hairs on those players...JJK could have 2 players on the 2nd team with Clark and Couch ... Shortt is alright player but not an All-LPD worthy.

    Clintwood's Vanover should be on the 2nd team but in no way on the first team...he is the Green Wave's only player this year and deserves 2nd team honors but is not talented enough for first team if the top team is only made of 5 players as he is probably between 8th and 10th best in the LPD.

    Off the subject a bit...but why can't or don't coaches work with players on the fundamental of proper shooting technique for both girls and boys...in enjoying the local HS basketball this season, there are way too many athletes with bad shooting mechanics it even if the coach spends 10 minutes here and there and the player works on what is instructed would mean a world of difference to a lot of these players in their development.
    i believe on the topic of proper shooting and scoring as a whole for the area is lacking due often to this crazy philosophy and idea that seems to have gripped the area for decades.
    this crazy idea of pound the ball inside, score 40 points a game and try and play this " in your face defense" (which you see exposed when more athletic teams who shoot and try to score more than the lpd limit of 40 points a game) most of the successful teams that come out of the area you can trace back to well rounded basketball players. Places like Castlewood, Twin Springs, Council etc I have always admired, they always seem to have fundamentally sound players who shoot the ball (well I may add) they try and score as much as possible, my fav (esp from my era... which is crazy to say, I am 30 now... wow)
    was Haysi. Preparing for Haysi was always so tough, they ran 4 out and 1 in, 98 they were so tough with that style especially. I was happy to loose to them by 3 in the regional tourney that year. Back to to the point however, one it is because you have to work on it on your own time. being a streaky shooter is one thing, being consistent is another. no better example than McMurray at GC, i heard stories of how hard he worked at becoming an excellent shooter, you can be born with the natural stroke, but to become consistent it takes practice. I am not 100% believe in proper technique. Squaring your shoulders and hand placement on the ball are the only two things I would stress. Everything else is practice, Tony Delk had a terrible looking shot, but was of if not the best shooter to play at UK, his stats back that up as well. 3 point shooting I mean.

    Anyway, in summation.
    The offenses need to be opened up in the LPD. Stop trying to have 5 passes and shoot it in the paint every trip. Spend more time working on your shot. Spend more time shooting coming off of screens and not just set shots. Move without the ball to get the best shot. Use your screens. Anyway.

    i
    Nothing but the process is infinite
    Eternal, endless, indefinite

  2. #32
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: All LPD

    Shane Bray, Defensive POY.

    I agree that not everyone has to have the same form for a shot. Reggie Miller was another example. His follow through was rough.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  3. #33
    Inactive Member yankeebaseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2007
    Posts
    1,387
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: All LPD

    lol defense and and me were never that close, even in writing.
    sag and help, sag and help. that was me! hahah
    Nothing but the process is infinite
    Eternal, endless, indefinite

  4. #34
    Inactive Member DJP's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31st, 2009
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: All LPD

    Every year I was in highschool with mcmurry he was at school early shooting every morning
    Gate City: 16 State Championships in the 2000s
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #35
    Inactive Member Saluki86's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2010
    Posts
    99
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: All LPD

    Quote Originally Posted by yankeebaseball View Post
    lol defense and and me were never that close, even in writing.
    sag and help, sag and help. that was me! hahah
    What was sagging?:snickerpup:

  6. #36
    Inactive Member yankeebaseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2007
    Posts
    1,387
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: All LPD

    my shorts and my defense
    Nothing but the process is infinite
    Eternal, endless, indefinite

  7. #37
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: All LPD

    Bray I just liked to call that "agressively playing the passing lanes"
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  8. #38
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: All LPD

    I may be a bit confused...you're saying that Garrison had as many points as Clintwood's team, right in the first half, so obviously they were winning pretty easily, why did he have that many points in the second half then? I mean especially with the depth and 27 All-LPD players as they have It has nothing to do with making numbers fit what I want them to do. You couldn't design your game plan around Garrison, because as you have so fervently defended, they had multiple very good players. I didn't have all the game stats, but from the 16 or so games that I did have stats, Vanover averaged right at 18 points a game (and I think the games I missed his numbers brought that up), averaged 7 boards (also think that was brought up by ones I missed as at least his best 2 single games I didn't have), 2 steals, 2 assists and right at 2 blocks. And most of the time facing junk or gimmick defenses designed to stop him. That is why when Meade started finding his shot as the year went along, Clintwood was able to win some, because teams were not able to junk as much, that and the fact that he did tend to be the best inside threat, best outside threat and was probably the second best ball handler. And justing by the steals, blocks, boards and assists, actually played the rest of the game too, not just the scoring as you like to pretend
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  9. #39
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: All LPD

    Probably because he didn't play as much in the second half. As I've already said, he'll make it and you all will be happy. Personally, I'd still take Ryan Hubbard over him.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  10. #40
    Inactive Member cvcgrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 12th, 2005
    Posts
    2,022
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: All LPD

    For the all-district team, I would go with...

    Forrest Stuart (Appy)
    CJ Short (JJK)
    Trey Garrison (PV)
    Ryan Hubbard (PV)
    Cameron Vanover (Clintwood)

    POY: Forrest Stuart (Appy)
    Coach of the Year: Zach Moore (PV)

    Second Team / Honorable Mention
    Chase Beverly (Pound)
    Aaron Clark (JJK)
    Sam Vaughn (PV)
    Mladen Bogicevic (Appy)
    Alex Couch (JJK)
    [URL="http://cvcgrad.spaces.live.com/blog/"][/URL]

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •